Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Glimpse of the Past

Scattered thunderstorms were predicted last night. That was an understatement. The winds tore through Harnett County. Trees in our back yard were doing back bends, and our new tree out front looked as if it were only moments away from being uprooted. My beautiful potted plants went blowing off my front porch, and I chased them regardless of the pouring rain and threatening lightening. My girls were over at their friend's house three houses down so I ran over there to make sure they were o.k. and not terrified out of their minds. I get back to the house and no sooner did I walk in the door, the power went out in the whole neighborhood. It was pitch black. It took about ten minutes to get used to, but then I reminded myself that people lived like this for many years before electricity. So we went back in time and decided to make the most of it. We lit candles everywhere. There were at least 3 candles in every room in the house. My house never smelled so lovely. With Apple Pie, Vanilla Icing, Melon Pear, and many other different fragrances, the house smelled like a bakery. So we each took out our book and found a comfy place by the candlelight and read. We opened the windows and could hear nothing but the frogs, crickets, and rain outside. It was awesome. We goofed around for a while talking and watching the bright display of lightening. It was time for bed and we laid our heads on our pillows with no background noise of air condition, television, music, or a noisy dishwasher. Just the awesome sound of Mother Nature lulling us to sleep.

No comments: