Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The night before Christmas at the Strid house

It is the night before Christmas, and it's a quiet Strid house. Yet not one kid is awake and I'm about to fall out.

I'm up to my ears in cookie dough, and icing is all over the plate. Am I the only one that notices Santa need to lose some weight?

I've just tidied up the house, lit candles and hung the candy canes. I'm smoking a cigarette and I travel down memory lane.

It wasn't so long ago I remember five crazy squirts. We would wake up early in the morning and put on all matching shirts.

We would have to wait for Mom and Jerrie to wake up last. It seemed forever as we salivated when only thirty minutes had past.

The ritual was to eat breakfast first, whether eggs, cereal or pancakes. It was hard to remember we were all in a race.

First came the family photo in our matching company tops. Finally, we got to the stockings with batteries, cool mind games, candy and lolli-pops.

Last but not least, we found our places on the floor. Stacks of presents were handed out then of course take photos before.

One by one we went around the room opening our gifts. Taking turns to enjoy them, watching the others' smile's lift.

I hope as tomorrow comes and my children sit by the tree, that one day when they have children they too, can share their Christmas memories.

-Shelly Strid

1 comment:

rinda said...

That was a great litle story. I remember when we were little and would get together for the holidays. I sure miss those days. Hope one day that we will get together for the holidays with all the families. Love you and miss you your cousin linda